Thursday, January 19, 2012

Basundhi

The most delicious and sought after Indian dessert.... I made it with never ending overflow of milk packets in my fridge... not that anyone cares but this dish is sure to bring that extra smile in your face and extra fat in your belly...

Ingredients:
Milk           - 1.5 litres / 6 cups
Sugar         - 7 spoons
Sliced Badam/pista  - To garnish

Method:
1. Bring the milk to boil in a hard bottom vessel.
2. Once the milk boils turn the flame to simmer and stir for 5 minutes. 
3. Keep it in the stove until the milk is concentrated and do not forget to keep stirring occasionally.
4. Now the milk in the vessel is reduced to almost 1/3rd and is slightly half-yellowish colour. 
5 At this stage add the sugar and stir.
6. The mixture liquefies a bit. Let it boil for another 15 minutes or so.And then our basundhi thickens further.

Basundhi is ready. You can either serve it hot or cold. Garnish with sliced badam/pista before serving.

Confessions:
  • It took almost 2 hours for me to make this ... so I put a small stainless steel spoon inside the milk (at step 3) and returned only to add sugar...
  • The above recipe served four people .... I alone had it 4 times though ;) I mean... it serves 7.
  • Adding any artificial or natural flavours and colours is not recommended... atleast by me... 
  • Do you really think I garnished with badam pista.....? Naah! thats my extra bittu ;) 


4 comments:

  1. You forgot adding cardamom. That will take it to another level :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... maybe... but i like it without any added flavours... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jus milk nd sugar?! Nw, tat sounds gud! :)
    Give me more!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure... on its way... :)
      BTW try adding cardamom as sarathy suggests... may be u ll like it that way too :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...